MTT

Friday, August 1, 2014

Did She Really Lose 175 Lbs In a Year?!

I first met Jen during a 30 minute boot camp class I was teaching last fall. By then she had lost about 90 or so pounds already, but said she wasn’t done!  She had more to go, a goal set, and she was working her butt off to get there….

Now she’s down 175 lbs in 15 months…and she feels better than ever! She works out every day, but does take a day off here and there and she just rewarded herself with a brand new motorcycle!

She’s a total inspiration to everyone she meets because she doesn’t boast about her weight loss story but is open to tell people about her journey. I’m so grateful that Jen was willing to be interviewed for my blog and newsletter. We both know her story will help inspire others. Enjoy!


Here’s her story…

A little background about Jen: she is a 48 year old, full-time dog trainer and groomer, and also works part time as a bar manager. Her amazingly cute pug, Tebow (YES, named for THAT Tebow) competes for agility competitions and is so much fun to watch, but boy does that dog have energy! And Jen needed more energy and agility herself to keep up with such an upbeat and competitive dog!
  
That’s how it all began….

I first met Jen while teaching a 30 minute boot camp class in Milford this past fall. At that time she had lost over 90 pounds!  I was amazed when she showed me her before picture - I couldn’t believe it and boy did she KILL in the class! Jen’s the one who always went the extra mile – did the extra rep, or jumped one more time than was required. When there was a short break, she would stand there and do bicep curls. There was no stopping this woman from getting to her goals.

Over this past winter, there was about a 4 month period when I didn’t see Jen, and when she walked into My Transformation Training the first time for boot camp class, I literally had to do a double take! She had lost another 50+ pounds and I just didn’t recognize her. She has transformed before everyone’s eyes, and she deserves huge praise and admiration for her accomplishment.

When I asked her how she first started and what she did, she said “I gave up Coke…oh and I worked my ass off!” Jen is an inspiration to anyone struggling to take that first step, whether you have 10 lbs or 100+ lbs to lose.  I was so excited when she agreed to be interviewed for the blog and newsletter and is willing to share her story. Hopefully her story will help someone else get started!
 
Enjoy!

Interview with Jennifer Bridwell:
Starting Weight: 320_____
Current Weight: ~145_____
Height: 5’5___________

What was the turning point that made you want to make a difference and change? Training for agility competition with my youngest dog and I could not run AT ALL. He is super fast and talented, and deserves a good handler/teammate and he was getting very frustrated with me!
What was your original goal when you started your transformation? To be able to run for 2 minutes
How long has it taken you to lose the first 100 pounds? I think around 10 months
What was the first step you took? I gave up Coca Cola
How hard was it for you to admit that you needed to make a change in your lifestyle?  Very! I was never a really huge eater, but didnt eat well, drank a lot of coke and didnt exercise at all.
What was the toughest part of your transformation? Dealing with certain peoples attitudes and sabotage attempts to my weight loss. I guess jealousy?
 Who was your biggest supporter? How important was it to rely on the support of others? My mom! Other people that I work out with have become very important to me, but for the first 8 months or so, I did everything on my own
 Did you ever feel like youve done enough and wanted to stop going after your initial goal? What was it that kept you going? I feel like Ive lost enough weight, but exercise is part of my life now and I have fitness goals now instead of weight loss goals.
Through the process, did you endure any injuries or set-backs? What did you do to overcome them? I broke 3 ribs, but just kept plugging along and doing what I was able to do. I hit several weight loss plateaus, but  because I dont weigh myself very often (maybe 5-6 times since I started) they didnt affect my process too much
What is your current eating regimen like?  What are your daily meals and number of calories you eat (approximately)? I eat pretty much what I want, within my daily calorie goal of around 2000- 2300 calories  a day (depending on the amount of exercise I do), now that Im trying to maintain instead of lose. I generally eat pretty healthfully- a high protein yogurt for breakfast most days and lots of protein, veggies, complex carbs and fruit. I eat few simple carbs like white bread, pasta, rice and potatoes, but I have some kind of treat almost every day, and usually a splurge meal or two a week- within my calorie goal (I use My Fitness Pal to track). All along, if I was really craving something, I ate it- in limited amounts, I didnt binge- and adjusted the rest of the days meals to compensate.
How often did you work out in the beginning, and how often do you work out now? Once I started working out (maybe 2 weeks after I gave up coke and started watching what I ate) I didnt miss a day for 3 months. I work out every day, twice a day a couple of times a week, and try to take a rest day every week now, but even that day is somewhat active, with a hike or bike ride or something. Something is off or wrong if I dont do something physical every day, and I get crabby if I miss a day.
What was the hardest part of working out in the beginning? Showing up at the gym! There were times I had to force myself to go, and a few times I did a short workout, but something is better than nothing, and more often than not, Id do a decent workout once I got there
What has this transformation done for you both physically and mentally? Physically, Im a new person. Ive been thinner than I am now, but never in the physical condition that Im in. I feel STRONG physically and mentally. Exercise, especially certain kinds, are like therapy for me now and are a great outlet for sadness, anger and frustration.
What would you say to someone else who needs some encouragement to make their own transformation? You are worth your own effort!

Jen at 320 lbs

Jen at agility competitions with Tebow

Jen today - 175 lbs lost!



If you would like to further discuss Jen’s weight loss journey, or are interested in starting your own, call me at 203-499-7168, or email me at info@devontaylor.net









No comments:

Post a Comment